7 Words or Sayings of the Cross Found in the Gospels


1.  And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do." (Luke 23:34a)
2. And he said to him "This day you will be with me in Paradise." (Luke 23:43)
3. When Jesus saw his mother and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to his mother, "Woman, behold, your son!" Then he said to the disciple, "Behold, your mother!" And from that hour the disciple took her to his own home.  (John 19:26, 27)
4. And about the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, "Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?" that is, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"
And at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, "Eloi, Eloi, lema sabachthani?" which means, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"
(Matthew 27:46; Mark 15:34)
5. After this, Jesus, knowing that all was now finished, said (to fulfil the Scripture), "I thirst." (John 19:28)
6. When Jesus had received the sour wine, he said, "It is finished," and he bowed his head and gave up his spirit. (John 19:30)
7. Then Jesus, calling out with a loud voice, said, "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit!" And having said this he breathed his last. (Luke 23:46)

No comments:

Post a Comment